Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Concept Map and Final Thoughts



In August, it seemed like this fall semester was going to be a long one, but it has flown by so quickly. This course exposed me to so much new technology, some of which I may never use and some which I definitely plan to implement in my future classroom. Regardless of how these technologies fit into my future, at least I know about them, know where to find them and how to use them. Knowing is half the battle right?

The concept map that I created using bubbl.us shows four categories under which I would say my learning in this class occurred: Web 2.0, Authentic Learning, Teacher Leadership, and Responsibility. 

I learned a lot about Web 2.0 tools this semester, especially where collaboration and networked learning are concerned. At first it was overwhelming to start using so many new things like Delicious, Ning, Blogs, and Twitter. While I am still getting used to accessing these resources on a regular basis, I do see great value in including them in my personal learning network. I have found some great resources thanks to the teachers I follow on Twitter and the Blogs to which I subscribe. 

The potential for collaboration with Web 2.0 applications is remarkable and I definitely want to try using Glogster, Wikis, Blogs, Timelines, and Concept Maps in my classroom. I might even get brave and try out podcasts and Voice Thread (although, in these cases I think it would be great to let students teach ME how to use them). Today's students relate better to these technology-rich activities than to paper/pencil lectures. I even got caught up in applications like Glogster that have so much creative potential. If I have access to these technologies, I want to integrate Web 2.0 applications to increase student interest and motivation.


There are a lot of things teachers can do to create authentic learning experiences for their students. Inquiry learning activities, like problem-based learning and WebQuests are great ways to give students "real world" applications for their learning and are perfect for the social studies classroom. Simulations, which can be done with or without technology, put students in an authentic environment where they have the capacity to "experience" learning in an active way. Service learning is also an excellent and valuable way to integrate service with content and technology. 

One of the most immediately pertinent things we looked at this semester was teacher leadership. Being a teacher leader does not necessarily require technology and the qualities of a teacher leader are things I can start developing in myself starting right now. Teacher leaders are role models. They encourage and support their colleagues, get involved in school events and decisions, and are passionate about their work. They are dedicated to lifelong learning and constantly reflect on how to improve themselves.

With teaching comes a lot of responsibility. Two areas of responsibility emphasized in this course were Copyright and the Digital Divide. Teachers bring outside material into the classroom everyday and it is important that they follow copyright and fair use laws when obtaining permission to use these materials. We don't want our students to plagiarize, so we must set a good example when it comes to following copyright in the classroom.

The Digital Divide is a reality that my classmates and I are likely to face to some degree in our future classrooms. It is important that we are aware of the digital divide in our classrooms and seek solutions to the problem while working with the resources that we have in our classrooms and schools. More importantly though, we must remember that it is our responsibility to educate our students and prepare them for a digital world; technology itself doesn't do this, WE do it by giving technology meaningful applications in the classroom.

I didn't always like having to do every assignment for this class, but I feel like my personal level of digital literacy has greatly increased in the last few months. Even after this class is over I still plan to use Delicious, Twitter, the NCSS Ning, and Evernote. I will definitely continue to follow blogs and maybe even continue writing one of my own. Now, when I think about activities, projects, and assessments for lesson plans I automatically think about how I could integrate technology into them. I know that I still have so much to learn when it comes to integrating education and technology, but this class has given me a lot of tools to use both now and in the future. Knowing is half the battle, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment