Monday, September 14, 2009

Social Studies Inquiry + Technology

Considering all the resources available because of today's technologies, it is only natural that inquiry learning would take advantage of them. The article, "Web based-inquiry learning: facilitating thoughtful literacy with WebQuests," explains the benefits of utilizing the internet to encourage meaningful inquiry learning. As Zahra wrote in the article summary, "WebQuests are designed to create an environment where students' new knowledge must be applied to solve real-world problems." A well-made WebQuest, according to the article, promotes "participation in meaningful activities, explanations, reflections, and strengthening of critical thinking skills." With so many websites devoted to historical people, events, places, and topics, WebQuests are an appropriate way to integrate technology into the inquisitive social studies environment.


Speaking from personal experience I know that creating a well-done WebQuest can be challenging so I would probably consult online resources to find those already made and tested by teachers. I found the Never Again!- Again? WebQuest at WebQuest.org and it is one of the best examples that I found. This WebQuest examines the issue of genocide and would be appropriate for a high school world history class. Genocide has been a recurring historical issue that is still relevant today. If I was teaching a world history class this WebQuest would be well incorporated towards the end of the year as a good activity to connect many of the topics covered throughout the year.


I love that this WebQuest includes resources like video and newspaper articles. In the process of completing the inquiry activity students draw on their prior knowledge, learn about the different stages of genocide, research the history of various incidences of genocide, and discuss their research with their classmates in a blog. The most compelling part of this WebQuest is the final activity in which students submit persuasive letters to the government and media and submit petitions to government officials. Over the course of this WebQuest students increase their media literacy, learn about genocide, and become activists for a humanitarian cause. This WebQuest would take several days to complete and with it's real-world applications, would motivate students to learn about genocide and create a quality final assignment. I also think this project would be really interesting from the teacher's perspective- I know I would be excited to see what my students learned from completing this WebQuest.


As the previously mentioned article said, WebQuests are meant to combine learning with problem solving. An advantage of the WebQuest format is that inquiry takes place within a fairly structured environment, but leaves room for further questioning and creativity from the students. On the other hand, poorly made WebQuests can leave students feeling overwhelmed and confused.


How do you think WebQuests compare to other forms of technology based inquiry learning?



Article Reference:
Ikpeze, C. and Boyd, F. (2007). Web-based inquiry learning: facilitating thoughtful literacy with WebQuests. The Reading Teacher, (60)7, 644-654.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Angie,

    I really appreciate your post. My technology presentation will be on wequests and I am so glad that you provided great webquest examples. I especially enjoy the fact that the one you mention in your post directs students to write to their congressmen.

    It is extremely important for us as social studies educators to teach civic responsibilities to our students. Fortunately, technology allows all of us greater access to our government officials. Thus, we can show our students how they can use the web to become effective citizens living in a democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too read the article about webquests and really like the idea behind them! I think webquest activities are unable to compare to other techniques because it is able to encompass so much information and pass it on to the students. They will work with technology and be forced to think critically as they get involved in other cultures or topics on a more personal level.I agree with Brittany that they are using the web to become effective citizens and that is something that is incredibly important for us as teachers to pass onto our students. Thank you for the great websites for webquests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate saying this (because blog responses always do!) but I agree with Elizabeth H. I am not very technologically advanced, and I have been introduced to a lot of networking sites recently, but WebQuests seem to encompass everything positive about internet resources. I realize there are drawbacks and must be taught and structured correctly, but there are so many options available! The students in my practicum class may been researching for a class debate involving school issues such as dress code and locker searches. They have been discussing these issues and how they'd like to bring up with the administrators. I think a WebQuest would have been an amazing way to incorporate it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree webquests are a prefect ways to utilize technology in the classroom. However, I know at my practicum that computers are scarce unless you rent time to use them in the library. Currently, we are studying the American Revolution. It would be so cool to have the students research primary documents or historical accounts of events like the Boston Massacre or the Boston Tea Party. However, I definitely plan on using webquests to allow my students to practice social science hands on (even if I have to rent out the tedious computer lab lol). -Jeremy C.

    ReplyDelete