Sunday, September 6, 2009

If kids can do this, I can do it, too!

Find and share an example of a social studies blog, podcast, and wiki not identified in the reading. If possible, find examples actually created by students. Explain why you chose those examples and how they support meaningful learning.
This week's search for blogs, podcasts, and wikis was both interesting and challenging. Many teachers utilize these technologies for their classes, but it took me a long time to find authentic student work. After much searching I successfully found examples of students using technology to enhance their educational experiences.
I hit the jackpot and found a school that had archived some of its social networking resources, including notable student blogs. (Click here to see this page.) The blog I have decided to share is from a student named Ashley. As I perused her various posts I was very impressed. She created the blog for her social studies class and many of her posts were social studies related. However, she also posted about a lot of non-social studies topics, which revealed things about her interests and personality. It is very clear that Ashley was engaged in meaningful learning through her blogging project. However, I think that the most valuable things she learned had nothing to do with actual social studies content. I took the following quote from one of Ashley's posts: “Since blogging, I have felt more comfortable talking in front of people and speaking clearly. It now makes talking to my small class easier because I know that I’ve talked to alot more people world-wide! I also developed a better vocabulary and I can spea[k] more fluently without saying “um” or “like” as often as I used to.” Wow. I never even considered that blogging would affect a person's public speaking abilities. Ashley was learning about more than social studies while she interacted with other student bloggers. Visit Ashley's blog to see what her experience was like.
I found some cool podcasts from Mr. Brewer's APHG classes at Brunswick High School. Small groups of students shared information on various supranational organizations, like OPEC and NAFTA. Some of the groups made their podcasts in a conversational style, which was informative, but more entertaining than a straight forward report. These students not only needed to learn about their specific organization, but had to know what makes an audio report interesting and informative to the audience outside their classroom (people like me!). By making a podcast they were taking ownership of the social studies content. Because they shared their work with a world wide audience, I think this was a more meaningful learning experiencing than just giving a report in front of the class.
Wiki pages have nearly endless potential for classroom application. The wiki I would like to share was created by "Enhanced Learning students," aged 10-12. They did a class research project on pirates and presented it as a wiki, found here. Each student was responsible for researching a specific topic and they were all combined to create the final product. A similar project would be also be appropriate for middle and high school students. Within any given social studies unit or theme, teachers could have students create wikis to present their work. This is not only for the benefit of the students, but allows others to access their research, as well. Imagine being a student and knowing that people from around the world might read your research to learn more about a given topic! Even after the student completes that course, they can still look back at what they did and be proud of it. I can't think of many more ways to make learning more meaningful than that.
In my searching through blogs, podcasts, and wikis for this week's post I was very impressed with the quality of the student work I found. I couldn't believe that the blogs I read were written by 14 year old students. Maybe using technology in the classroom encourages a greater sense of maturity as students demonstrate their learning via a more sophisticated medium than paper reports. If they can do it, I can do it, too!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Ashley's Blog was really impressive! I never even realized that blogging could have all those benefits, especially making it easier to talk in front of the classroom. I really enjoyed clicking on the links that you provided, because I had trouble finding Blogs, wikis, and podcasts created by students. The examples that I found were done by teachers, so while they were really useful for me as a future teacher, it would have been nice to see how students benefitted from technological aspects in the classroom. "Maybe using technology in the classroom encourages a greater sense of maturity as students demonstrate their learning via a more sophisticated medium than paper reports." I thought this was a really, really interesting way of summing up this assignment. I truly enjoyed reading your blog (and Ashley's too, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on finding these excellent student examples! I had a difficult time finding anything done by students. Most of everything I found built for classes had nothing posted to it! I agree with you that it does bring a sense of maturity to students. Instead of simply handing in a report they can personalize their blogs, wikis, and podcasts and gain confidence while learning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're title made me laugh. :) ...and it was also inspiring because I agree with you! I'm trying! I wish I could have hit a jackpot like you did, unfortunately the best stuff I found was interactive stuff between students and teachers. boo. Well, I guess that obviously means I enjoyed your sites...really made me think about how I should try and get better with this technology stuff so I can utilize what it has to offer. I subscribed to my first podcast a few days ago actually. From iTunes, its called "How Stuff Works" and it pretty much just picks common themes and ideas that occur all the time that you really don't know a lot about, and then these guys discuss every detail about it. It's a really funny and cool Podcast (I was very proud of myself.) I liked the podcasts you found because it showed me a new use for them in the classroom. Cool.

    Anyway, thanks again for the awesome student-generated sites...your relentlessness really paid off. :)

    Ps. You organized your blog really well. Great use of links and etc. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks great! You found some really great examples for this weeks blog. I too had quite a bit of difficulty finding a blog, wiki, and podcast made by students! (I am glad I am not alone!) It is so crazy that these students are able to use technology to share their work. I had a Spanish project last semester that I had to post on wiki and believe me it was not easy. I'm excited to learn how to use all of these tools because after doing research of existing ones made by students I understand how important it is to implement them in our classrooms for our students benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your blog this week! I too had a hard time finding student run blogs, wikis, or podcasts so it's nice to know I'm not alone. Ashley's blog is an excellent source. It's interesting to see how secondary students see certain issues and how they relate to them. I agree that wikis seem to have endless applications in the classroom. After this assignment I now have some great ideas on how to implement them in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is really cool that you found Ashley's blog, because a lot of the stuff I found were more teacher oriented, as in the teacher had most control and influence on the website, and students just commented, I didn't see too many individual voices. I think I had a difficult time like a lot of other people. Nonetheless, it definitely opened my eyes to more possibilities with technology, and I really liked what you had to say about how it influenced Ashley. I have felt for a long time that a blog would be a great way to get those kids who are too shy in class to speak their mind in a fairly "safe" place. It makes me feel even better about them now that I know that kids feel like it can help them feel more comfortable with people face to face.

    ReplyDelete