Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Networked Student


"We are more powerful together than we ever could be apart. Welcome to the human network."

This is the idea behind the Cisco commercial we watched in class. Technology is changing how we connect with people and with whom we connect. Out of these developments arises the networked student, who is no longer limited to dependence on traditional avenues for learning- the teacher, textbook, and classmates. The networked student is connected not only to face-to-face contacts, like his teachers and classmates, but also to the rest of the world, via numerous technological implements. By using computers, the Internet and its innumerable applications, mp3 players, smart phones, and whatever other technological devices they have, networked students expand their personal learning networks so that they include anyone in the world who is using the same tools.

Digital literacy is essential to the networked student, for without digital literacy the network is useless. Each student needs to be adept at accessing their network, evaluating and gathering information from the network, and taking advantage of the many possibilities their network provides. One of the advantages of networked learning is that it alleviates some of the digital disconnect that students often feel in traditional classrooms. 

Networked learning calls for a change in the role of the teacher. The teacher is no longer the sole pinnacle of knowledge in the classroom. The teacher is still an authority figure and does indeed have valuable content knowledge to share, but is more importantly a guide who helps students create and navigate their networks. In the networked classroom it is okay for the teacher to say, "I don't know the answer to your question. Use your personal learning network to do some searching and see what you can learn." In a setting like this, inquiry learning can be a good motivator as each student creates a personalized network based on his or her strengths and interests.

I think this model of instruction is extremely different from the way I was taught. Students learn valuable skills when they develop a personal learning network that prepare them for their future more so than drawing a poster for a class presentation. Additionally, a personal learning network can be maintained outside the classroom and beyond formal education; you can keep your network forever, constantly adding to it. Learning is lifelong, right?

I think that in the right school, with the right technology, and with adequate support I could see myself in this role. In a setting where technology is limited, networked learning would still be doable but more challenging. I think networked learning is probably more interesting for the students and the teacher, but I don't think our current educational system is very supportive of this type of classroom. I am curious to see if and how this changes in the coming years.

Are you a networked student? Do you want your students  to be networked? How will you help them develop their network?


The following presentation would obviously be better if it were accompanied by the actual presenter, but I think the content on the slides speaks for itself and the embedded YouTube videos are great (especially the one on slide 7).
Check out this SlideShare Presentation:

6 comments:

  1. I like the presentation! I think that because of this class, I can now consider myself a networked student. Of course, I still have much to learn and a long way to go, but I am glad that I am learning things that will be applicable to teaching in the future. As a teacher, I will want my students to become networked and I think I can start by incorporating technology into assessments and projects. Especially for students who are unfamiliar with it, I think small steps will be best but eventually it can happen. I would start by making a professional learning site for my class where they can post comments and find resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would consider myself a networked student, I only wish these advancements in technology had been made when I was in undergrad circa 1998. It puts so much information at your fingertips and allows you to be creative in your presentation of the ideas acquired. I can only hope that my students are networked and if not, I hope that I can help them to develop their networks. I think the most important introduction to this idea is a class webpage and/or blog just to introduce them to the idea. Not only will it help the students, but I think it will help the parents stay involved and connected with their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great presentation you found!! I would not necessarily consider myself a networked student per se (after all, I have had years of conditioning in the traditional classroom setting). I am however, a networked person. What does that mean? If I am interested in something, I will use the internet to research it, and each website leads me down another avenue of research. For example, when the movie Walk the Line came out, I was weirdly interested in it (I saw it 18 times in theaters). I researched the movie and Johnny Cash alll the time....coming across different websites that contained both accurate and inaccurate information, interviews, blogs, threads, etc. Each piece of information that I discovered made me want to learn more. Although I did not post the information I learned on a blog or other method of technology, I definitely told as many people as would listen (much to their chagrin!) So, while I am definitely a networked person, I aim to become a networked student and a networked teacher who has networked students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I still have a little bit to go before I totally can become a networked student. But this technology class has gotten me a lot more comfortable with the tools available and I want to continue to learn and strengthen my skills. I would like to combine both traditional learning along with networked learning for my students. I think it is important to have both types of teaching in the classroom. I will guide my students and give them the tools necessary to complete proper networked learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe i am NOT a networked student. The only sort of networking i have or have had is social networking, and that is on the uppermost superficial layer. Facebook and twitter is the extent of my networking. I am definitely going to require my students to be networked literate. I will do this first and foremost by just showing my students what is available to the students. Just showing the students the resources is half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd consider myself a networked student, but at this point not extensively, and perhaps rather reluctantly. Students growing up now will be more motivated to learn the networks that I may not have to teach them digital networking at all.

    ReplyDelete